QUESTS will host an introductory workshop on NVivo on Friday, 24 February 2017. The workshop will be facilitated by Ben Meehan, QDA Training.
This workshop offers a rounded introduction to NVivo and focuses on the requisite management decisions one should make at the beginning of one’s project including:
- What is my data?
- What format is my data in?
- Should I code audio or transcripts and what are the advantages and limitations of either approach?
- How does the software work?
- Why should I integrate my background information or demographics?
- What is auto-coding and how might it help to better understand my data and prepare it for the cycles of manual interpretive coding to follow?
- How do I integrate my chosen methodological approach in using NVivo and reconcile it with the philosophical underpinnings to apply such methods as Grounded Theory, Discourse Analysis, Content Analysis, Thematic Analysis or Narrative Interpretive Methods?
This workshop has an emphasis on the conceptual although the afternoon session is more rooted in the practical.
By the end of the workshop, participants should be able to:
- Set up an NVivo database
- Back it up
- Import their data
- Set up a coding structure and code their data to it
- Set up and integrate their demographics.
Room 112, Cairnes Building, NUI Galway
€190 for staff; €90 for students (includes morning refreshments and lunch)